Plants: A Valuable Community Resource
- Landscaping adds an average of 14.8% to a home’s value.
- Homes with attractive landscaping sell quicker - by as much as Five to Six weeks.
- As home improvements go, landscaping is an excellent investment. Recovery value at selling time can be 100 to 200%.
- Landscaping enhances property values, which add to the community’s tax base.
- Proper placement of shade trees and evergreen windbreaks reduces cooling and heating costs.
- Trees moderate urban “heat islands” created by extensive paved areas. Lawns cool a home at the same rate as a one-ton air conditioner. Lawns also trap dust, absorb noise and provide outdoor living areas for children and adults.
- One tree removes 26 pounds of carbon dioxide from the air every year and releases about 13 pounds of oxygen-enough for a family of four on a daily basis.
- Plants reduce noise pollution up to 50 percent.
- Plants control runoff and erosion. They allow soil to absorb water, returning it to aquifers. Decreased runoff means less urban flooding.
- Lawns slow the spread of wildfires to homes.
- Plants provide food and habitat for wildlife, which contributes to biodiversity and a healthier environment.
- Landscaping creates green space for human rest, recreation and renewal.